Sunday, September 19, 2010

Cake Mix Cookies




I was at the Unimart with a friend yesterday, and I saw some Funfetti cake mix! I had a craving, so I went for it. I wanted to find something fun to do with it, but all I could find was the cookie recipe on the side of the box. So as I mixed my dough, I considered all my options. Inspiration struck just as I was rolling them out into balls!

When I was a little girl, I always asked my mom to make me pancakes shaped like different critters. I don't know why I like animal shapes so much, but they're fun! So, I made my cookies animal shaped. In addition to sharing the recipe(which is nothing special, I assure you), I'll teach you fun ways on how to shape them! Plus, the clean up is simple as can be! The kids will love this one...!

Non-edible Materials:

Cookie sheets.
A glass dipped in flour.

Edible Materials:

A box of cake mix. You could use Strawberry, Chocolate, etc.
2 eggs.
1/3 cup of oil.

Time to get messy!

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix together the cake mix, eggs and oil until well blended.
3. Roll into small balls and place on cookie sheet.
For shapes, see below.
4. Flatten the cookie with the bottom of the glass(which should be coated in flour.)
5. Put cookies in the oven and let bake for approximately 8 minutes. The edges should be golden brown when ready.
6. Let cool, and if desired, frost and sprinkle!

Now it's time for the fun part...

Bunny: Take a ball and set it on your cookie sheet. Then, take make 2 smaller "cylinder-shaped" pieces of dough and place them so they look like the bunny's ears. Flatten with your glass. Now take a small piece of dough and flatten that slightly. When it comes out of the oven, take a knife and make two eyes, a nose and a mouth.

Bear: Take a ball and set it on your cookie sheet. Then, take make 2 small balls of dough and place them for the ears. Flatten with your glass. Now take 2 very small pieces of dough and place them side by side for the mouth. Flatten that slightly. When it comes out of the oven, take a knife and make two eyes, a nose and a mouth.

Kitten: Repeat all the steps for the bear, except when you get to the ears, pinch the tips to make them pointed. When they come out of the oven, add whiskers in addition to the mouth, eyes and nose.

Puppy: Repeat the steps for the bunny, except arrange the ears so they are floppy and laying against the head. Also add a piece of dough to the mouth part for it's nose.

Heart: This one is easy enough. Take two cylinders of dough and arrange them in a heart shape. Flatten this. VOILA!

After they are almost cooled, take a sanding sugar of your choice and sprinkle it over the cookie, it'll get caught in the creases of the "mouth", "eyes", etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment