Sunday, September 19, 2010

Quick Cake

So imagine this... You're sitting there, minding your business, when all of a sudden you want chocolate cake! And what do you know? There's no box mix or anything to be found! And making a homemade cake takes way too long... Or does it?

I found myself facing this unfortunate event one day, and then to my delight, I found a recipe for 5-minute brownies in a cup. I grabbed my coffee cup, mixed the ingredients, popped it in the microwave and...eww. I was chewing on a chocolate sponge! So I ditched the cup and went for the big guns! I was setting myself up for disaster, but, to my pleasant surprise, I was successful! In fact, if you're wondering why there is no picture, it's kind of because I ate it all...!

So are you ready to make your very own sinfully easy cake? I thought so.


Non-edible Materials:

Greased microwaveable container.
Microwave!
Plastic wrap.

Edible Materials:

3 tablespoons of softened butter.
1/2 cup sugar.
1 egg.
1 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup.
1/4 cup milk.
1/2 cup flour.
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder.
1/4 teaspoon of baking powder.
3 tablespoons of chocolate chips.
A dash of salt.

Time to get messy!

1. Grease your container with a non-stick spray.
2. Mix together the butter, sugar, syrup, egg and milk in a small bowl.
3. In another small bowl(there's a lot of bowls involved!), mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
4. Slowly mix the dry mixture into the wet until smooth. After the mixture is smooth, pour in chocolate chips and work through the batter.
5. Pour your batter into the container and cover with a sheet of plastic wrap.
6. Put the container in the microwave for 2 minutes on high. Your cake will rise as will the plastic wrap, but rest assured, nothing will explode(hopefully!)
7. Stick a toothpick in the center of the cake, if it comes out clean, your cake is ready!
8. Let the cake cool for 5 minutes.
9. Tip it onto a plate and BON APPETIT!

Now, there's many things you can do with this cake. You can frost it and put sprinkles over it. You can also eat with icecream and hot fudge! The possibilities are endless... I mean, it's a 5-minute cake! Even if you do mess up your recipe, at least it didn't waste too much of your time! In the end, the cake will turn on dense and chocolatey! I recommend a glass of milk to wash it all down!

FOR THE GLUTEN-FREE FOLLOWERS:

To make this recipe gluten-free, simply replace the flour with gluten-free flour and add in a tablespoon of xanthan gum!

No comments:

Post a Comment