Thursday, October 21, 2010

Ginger-Molasses Cookies

Yesterday marked a very sad day in my family. My great aunt Evy passed away in the evening. She was in her 80s and had been ailed with Alzheimer's disease. Come last Saturday, she had suffered from a series of mini-strokes and was rushed to the hospital. She passed peacefully in her home. Many tears have been shed for her. But... I believe her life should be celebrated as well.

My Aunt Evy was quite the baker. She always made terrific fudges and cookies. One such cookie that always sticks out in my memory when I think of my great aunts is the molasses cookie. The intoxicatingly sweet and spicy smell of the ginger and molasses still lingers vividly in my memories. Many people don't like the taste of molasses. It's strong and sweet and leaves a taste on the tongue. I've always loved it. So I brought it upon myself to relive this memory as best as I could.

Edible Ingredients

2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon of ground ginger
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup of shortening
1 cup of white sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup of dark, mild molasses
1/2 cup of cinnamon sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and set cookie sheets aside. Do not grease the cookie sheets.
2. Sift together flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl.
3. In another bowl, cream your shortening. Then beat in the sugar gradually. Add in the egg and molasses.
4. Add the flour mixture in parts until the dough becomes soft.
5. Roll the dough into small, 1 inch balls(bigger balls work as well, if you'd like that). Roll the balls into the cinnamon sugar and place on the cookie sheets.
7. Bake for 10 minutes until the tops are slightly domed and cracked.
8. Cool for a couple minutes before eating with a nice glass of tea or milk.

R.I.P. Aunt Eveline
You will never be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment